Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cranks

My quest for a nice silver 110 bcd crankset is finally over. Best part is it cost me less than $50! I found a pair of SunTour XC Pro cranks at Recycled Cycles. They'd been used and looked like they'd spent much of the last decade sitting in a bin with other bike parts - lots of scratches and nicks. I sat down in front of the TV, busted out several grades of wet/dry sandpaper and went to work. After a couple of hours I was left with a pair of crankarms with a mirror like finish. The rings that came with the cranks were toast but fortunately I had a set of 48x34 Ritchey rings from a Logic crank. That crank wound up on a single speed so the rings were unused. Mounted them with some FSA alloy Torx head chainring bolts and finished it off with some old Shimano 105 8mm crank bolts. I'm not sure how well the finish will hold up - cranks are anodized for a reason. They look great and the 34 is a big improvement over the 38 I was pushing.

No comments: