Friday, September 23, 2005

What are we buying?

I work for a major outdoor goods retailer. I'm not going to say who but suffice it to say we're best known for our initials. Today we were given the opportunity to purchase some of our house brand gear for next to nothing prices. They do this twice a year both as a thank-you to the employees and also because they know it's a great way to sell more gear (employees in any industry sell more of what they personally use)

I'm looking through the mini-catalog they sent out announcing this sale and one thing that stands out in regards to the clothing is the heavy use of words to describe clothing that I would not normally associate with clothing. Words like "technical", "performance", "laminate" and "welded". Just what am I buying: a jacket or a racing car?

Since when did a jacket need to "perform" and why does it need to be "technical"? Correct me if I'm wrong but we're still talking about fabric. Granted, the fibers are different as are the production techniques but at the end of the day it's still a series of strands woven together into a sheet that is then cut and assembled into a completed garment. It's certainly not technical on the same level as say an iPod, jet engine, or camera so why pretend it is? Maybe I'm getting old (highly unlikely) or way out of touch with the Average American (very likely) but when I'm looking at a jacket I'm more interested in words like "warm", "cozy", "dry", "comfortable". Have we become so dependent on technology and gadgets that these words are no longer appealing?

Fortunately, there is hope. Turn one page from the jacket with the subtitle "Technical fabrics combine for peak performance" is....WOOL! Nice, 18 micron Merino wool at that. The subtitle for the wool top reads "A natural way to add warmth, wick moisture" Now you tell me, which of those descriptions sounds more inviting?

No comments: