Monday, September 19, 2005

Ripping on the Big S...

So why do people so passionately dislike Shimano? I got to thinking about this while I was installing my DuraAce 10 speed downtube shifters. Sure they come out with new and improved products every 2-3 years and keep switching standards but Campy does the same thing. Yet people adore Campy and loathe Shimano.

Traditionalists seem especially hostile to Shimano which doesn't make much sense. Shimano is currently the only major component company producing downtube shifters. Campy has dropped theirs. Shimano also still producers bar-end shifters in both 9 and 10 speed models. Campy now only makes 10 speed. Furthermore, Shimano's bar-end and downtube shifters both still have a friction option which Campy lacks. If you're building a traditional style bike Shimano is the only major company still cranking out shifters.

Then there's the issue of spare parts. People like to claim that Campy is superior because you can rebuild their Ergo shifters. This is a hollow claim. Yes, technically it is possible to rebuild the shifters. However, as a practical matter it's so time consuming that having a shop do it would probably cost you more money in man hours than simply buying a new shifter. There's also the issue of spare parts availability. I was recently looking for some Cane Creek/Tektro brake levers and was calling several local shops to track them down. While I was at it I also decided to see which was easier to find spare parts for: Campy or Shimano. I asked stores if they had Shimano and Campy spare chains, chainrings, and cassettes. Of the 6 shops I called all had Shimano spares while only one had spare Campy parts (and they cost twice as much as Shimano!) Mind you, these are common spare parts that need to be replaced on a regular basis, assuming you actually ride your bike.

By no means am I picking on Campy. In many ways I still prefer many Campy items. The hoods on the Campy Ergo shifter are far more comfortable for my mitts than the STI levers. I also believe Campy has a much better range of cassettes and especially like their century-friendly 13x29 cassette. Shimano only goes down to a 27 tooth cog and there are times when us non-racing types could go for a lower gear. Campagnolo also beat Shimano in recognizing the validity of compact gearing in the front and even created a compact specific front derailleur.

I just don't understand the whole anti-Shimano mindset. I think much of it is simply because Shimano is the biggest kid on the block and there are certain people who will always hate the biggest kid on the block no matter what. I really don't get that mentality.

No comments: