Monday, February 05, 2007

SIR Training Ride #2

Ride 2 in the Seattle International Randonneurs training series was a brisk jaunt around Camano Island. Camano Island is north of Seattle and just east of Whidbey Island. It was a chilly morning and I knew I was going to be in for a cold one when I pulled the bike out of the back of the truck and the saddle and brake levers were covered in ice from the drive. Fortunately, I was well prepared with my Descente Wombat gloves, wool jersey with Craft base layer, REI Conversion jacket, and Sugoi tights. We headed west out of Stanwood and quickly found ourself riding along the waterfront. It was a clear day and we could easily see across the water to the other islands. The roads were mostly very smooth and rolling. As we headed down the west side of the island we pulled off the road and descended down to Camano Island State Park. I think the sole purpose of this detour was to make us climb back up out of the park. It was a crazy steep hill but fortunately it was the only one of the day. On the east side of the island we foudn a small market and when I spied several bikes in front of the store I decided I too needed to stop. Of course at this point I'm pretty much looking for an excuse for a break. Anything would have worked - grocery store, road kill, yard sale, etc. One of my fellow riders was generously picking up the tab for riders and I grabbed myself some beef jerky since I was feeling a bit protein deprived (Yeah, I know - meat is murder....tasty, tasty murder!!!) The final stretch was along the busy highway 532 before finally hitting Stanwood. The total ride distance according to my computer was 81.2 kilometers.

No comments: