Monday, October 03, 2005

First flight

Well I finally took the Soma out for it's inaugural ride on Saturday morning. Nothing too fancy but a good 75 km shakedown ride. For Puget Sounders my route started at my place in Ravenna, along the Burke to Fremont, south to downtown, along Boeing Field to the Interurban, took the trail to Tukwila, over to Renton, up Rainier then MLK and finally to Montlake and back onto the Burke for the last leg home. The route had a couple of hills and some pretty bumpy roads at points. The new bike handled it all very nicely. Just a little rattling from the SKS fenders.

Conditions for the ride were pretty wet throughout and I was quite happy I had fenders mounted. On the final leg I saw some cyclists on racer/poser bikes who didn't have fenders and they looked pretty toasty wearing rain jackets to deal with the spray even though it had stopped raining and was quite sunny. Fenders and a saddlebag are really great for rides like this.

This ride also gave me a chance to wear my new REI Conversion jacket/vest and REI wool zip top. I wore the wool top as a base with a short sleeve D'Allesandro wool jersey over it and the Conversion jacket over that. This turned out to be pretty much perfect for light rain and temps in the 50's/60's. The zip off sleeve/shoulder panel on the Conversion jacket is especially nice.

No comments: